How to Replace a Branch with Another Branch in Git
A while back, I had a
master branch and a
Out of bad practice, the
my_branch branch had effectively become the main repository, or the “working master branch”.
I wanted to overwrite my
master branch with the
my_branch branch entirely.
This solution will retain all commits and history in
git checkout my_branch git merge -s ours master git checkout master git merge my_branch
If the first merge returns an error like the following:
fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories
Then, you can add a flag to allow these merges to go through.
git merge --allow-unrelated-histories -s ours master
Read more about the
ours strategy here.
Another way to go about this issue is to rename the branches.
This solution will remove all commits and history in
If the entire
master branch is replaceable, then this will be a simple solution.
git branch -m master old_master git branch -m my_branch master git push -f origin master
More CLI Articles
- How to Install Powerline in WSL2 Terminal
- How to Zip and Unzip Files in WSL2
- How to List All Git Aliases
- How to Add, Commit, and Push in One Git Command
- How to Replace a Local Branch with a Remote Branch in Git
- How to Revert a Specific File or Folder in Git
- How to Install Hugo on WSL2
- How to Install Node.js and npm on WSL2
- How to Revert to a Previous Commit in Git without Modifying History
- How to Merge a Branch Into Another Branch in Git
- How to Fix "xcrun error invalid active developer path" with Git on macOS
- How to Update Node to Another Version on Windows WSL
- How to Use SSH with GitHub (Instead of HTTPS) on Windows WSL
- How to Delete Files with a Specific Extension in all Subdirectories Recursively
- How to Suppress Output of npm install
- How to Pass Environment Variables to Makefiles in Subdirectories
- How to Access Environment Variables in a Makefile
- How to Reset Password on Ubuntu Linux
- How to Pull a Branch from Another User's Fork using Git
- How to Align GitHub README images in Markdown
- How to Merge Development and Production Branches in Git
- How to Quickly Push to Git with a Bash Script
- How to Change Author of Commit in Git History
- WSL2: How to Fix "Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse"
- How to Delete a Git Branch Locally and Remotely
- How to Schedule Recurring Deploys in Netlify
- How to View All Global Packages in npm
- How to Test an npm package locally
- How to Update an npm Package (Fixing "You cannot publish over the previously published versions")
- How to Undo Changes in a Single File in Git
- How to Fix the Netlify error: "Treating warnings as errors because process.env.CI = true"
- How to Set the Default Directory for Git Bash on Windows
- How to Search Past Terminal Commands in Linux
- How to Get the Count of Files with each File Extension in Linux
- How to Find All Files with a Specific File Extension in Linux
- How to Run Multiple Commands Simultaneously in Linux
- How to Watch a File in Linux using tail
- Linux Timestamps: The Difference Between atime, mtime, ctime, and crtime
- How To Remove Duplicate Lines While Maintaining Order in Linux
- How To Count the Number of Non-Empty Output Lines in Linux
- How To Find All IP Addresses within a File in Linux with grep
- How To Rename Every File in all Subdirectories in Windows CMD