How to List All Git Aliases
How can we list all available Git aliases on our system?
All of our aliases are stored in
~/.gitconfig, so the question becomes: what is the simplest or fastest way to pull the aliases from this file?
Our first option is to simply view this file in a text editor, vim, or just output the file contents to the terminal.
Our aliases will reside under the
Read everything in
We can also dump all of our Git configurations into the terminal using
git config, and then use our eyes to find the aliases.
git config --global --list
The aliases will look something like this.
Read only aliases from
We can also view our Git aliases by only returning lines that match the format of a Git alias.
git config --get-regexp '^alias\.'
The regular expression
^alias\. matches all lines that start with the word
alias and contain a single period
Create another alias
Finally, we can create another alias to list our aliases.
Let’s steal the command from earlier, and place it in an alias called
git config --global alias.aliases "config --get-regexp '^alias\.'"
We can then use this alias to find all of our other aliases.
More CLI Articles
- How to Install Powerline in WSL2 Terminal
- How to Zip and Unzip Files in WSL2
- How to Add, Commit, and Push in One Git Command
- How to Replace a Local Branch with a Remote Branch in Git
- How to Revert a Specific File or Folder in Git
- How to Install Hugo on WSL2
- How to Install Node.js and npm on WSL2
- How to Revert to a Previous Commit in Git without Modifying History
- How to Merge a Branch Into Another Branch in Git
- How to Fix "xcrun error invalid active developer path" with Git on macOS
- How to Update Node to Another Version on Windows WSL
- How to Use SSH with GitHub (Instead of HTTPS) on Windows WSL
- How to Delete Files with a Specific Extension in all Subdirectories Recursively
- How to Suppress Output of npm install
- How to Pass Environment Variables to Makefiles in Subdirectories
- How to Access Environment Variables in a Makefile
- How to Reset Password on Ubuntu Linux
- How to Pull a Branch from Another User's Fork using Git
- How to Align GitHub README images in Markdown
- How to Merge Development and Production Branches in Git
- How to Quickly Push to Git with a Bash Script
- How to Change Author of Commit in Git History
- WSL2: How to Fix "Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse"
- How to Replace a Branch with Another Branch in Git
- How to Delete a Git Branch Locally and Remotely
- How to Schedule Recurring Deploys in Netlify
- How to View All Global Packages in npm
- How to Test an npm package locally
- How to Update an npm Package (Fixing "You cannot publish over the previously published versions")
- How to Undo Changes in a Single File in Git
- How to Fix the Netlify error: "Treating warnings as errors because process.env.CI = true"
- How to Set the Default Directory for Git Bash on Windows
- How to Search Past Terminal Commands in Linux
- How to Get the Count of Files with each File Extension in Linux
- How to Find All Files with a Specific File Extension in Linux
- How to Run Multiple Commands Simultaneously in Linux
- How to Watch a File in Linux using tail
- Linux Timestamps: The Difference Between atime, mtime, ctime, and crtime
- How To Remove Duplicate Lines While Maintaining Order in Linux
- How To Count the Number of Non-Empty Output Lines in Linux
- How To Find All IP Addresses within a File in Linux with grep
- How To Rename Every File in all Subdirectories in Windows CMD