How to Checkout Another Branch Commit in Git
How can checkout a commit of another branch in Git?
Suppose we’re working on
master, but we would like to checkout a specific commit of branch
Checkout the appropriate branch
First, we want to checkout the branch whose commit we’d like to checkout.
git checkout feature1
Find the commit hash
We can find the correct commit hash in the terminal quite easily.
We can list our commits on the current branch in reverse chronological order (most recent commits on top).
Based on the date and/or commit message, we should be able to find the string of letters and numbers after the word
Let’s highlight this hash and copy it to our clipboard.
Checkout the specific commit
Suppose our commit hash is
Finally, we can checkout the specific commit from our
feature1 branch into a new branch.
git checkout -b new-feature1 1a2b3c
More CLI Articles
- The difference between 'git pull' and 'git fetch'
- How to Get the Current Commit Hash in Git
- How to Combine CSV Files Using Terminal
- How to Reset a Local Branch to the Remote Branch in Git
- How to Pull a Remote Branch in Git
- How to Install Powerline in WSL2 Terminal
- How to Zip and Unzip Files in WSL2
- How to List All Git Aliases
- How to Add, Commit, and Push in One Git Command
- How to Replace a Local Branch with a Remote Branch in Git
- How to Revert a Specific File or Folder in Git
- How to Install Hugo on WSL2
- How to Install Node.js and npm on WSL2
- How to Revert to a Previous Commit in Git without Modifying History
- How to Merge a Branch Into Another Branch in Git
- How to Fix "xcrun error invalid active developer path" with Git on macOS
- How to Update Node to Another Version on Windows WSL
- How to Use SSH with GitHub (Instead of HTTPS) on Windows WSL
- How to Delete Files with a Specific Extension in all Subdirectories Recursively
- How to Suppress Output of npm install
- How to Pass Environment Variables to Makefiles in Subdirectories
- How to Access Environment Variables in a Makefile
- How to Reset Password on Ubuntu Linux
- How to Pull a Branch from Another User's Fork using Git
- How to Align GitHub README images in Markdown
- How to Merge Development and Production Branches in Git
- How to Quickly Push to Git with a Bash Script
- How to Change Author of Commit in Git History
- WSL2: How to Fix "Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse"
- How to Replace a Branch with Another Branch in Git
- How to Delete a Git Branch Locally and Remotely
- How to Schedule Recurring Deploys in Netlify
- How to View All Global Packages in npm
- How to Test an npm package locally
- How to Update an npm Package (Fixing "You cannot publish over the previously published versions")
- How to Reset Changes in a Single File in Git
- How to Fix the Netlify error: "Treating warnings as errors because process.env.CI = true"
- How to Set the Default Directory for Git Bash on Windows
- How to Search Past Terminal Commands in Linux
- How to Get the Count of Files with each File Extension in Linux
- How to Find All Files with a Specific File Extension in Linux
- How to Run Multiple Commands Simultaneously in Linux
- How to Watch a File in Linux using tail
- Linux Timestamps: The Difference Between atime, mtime, ctime, and crtime
- How To Remove Duplicate Lines While Maintaining Order in Linux
- How To Count the Number of Non-Empty Output Lines in Linux
- How To Find All IP Addresses within a File in Linux with grep
- How To Rename Every File in all Subdirectories in Windows CMD